Projects

Piano Stool

Print This Post Print This Post

I have been toying up with the idea of replacing an old chair we have in our bedroom with a piano stool. The extra width and the little storage compartment will be perfect for us.

My Mother in-law is also after something similar so if i can make it in time, I’ll try to make one as a Christmas gift as well.

Sketchup Piano Stool

I couldn’t find any suitable plans, so i went off and drew up a basic plan using sketch-up, then over the weekend I made a rough mock-up.

Didn’t get as much done as I had hoped but the temperature was pushing 36 Celsius in the workshop so I only worked in 45 minute bursts throughout the weekend.

Sketchup Piano Stool
Overall I am pretty happy with the look of the piece. I think the waist is a little too thick, the legs need more refining, and I will also add another 50mm to the width.

Otherwise the piece seems pretty good, and functional. I think I will taper the legs more to give the piece a more feminine look. I’ll try to squeeze in another prototype in during the week and start on the real work next week.

For these stools I am going to be using Melunak, for the first time. I have heard good things about this timber, but have never used it before.

The accounts I have read, describe it as being similar to blackwood in appearance but at a lower density.

WorkBench Upgrades

Print This Post Print This Post

glueup

I scored some cheap 65x45mm Hardwood boards, decided to glue them up and replace the solid core door benchtop I have been using for the last few years…. Once I figured out the layout, I pre-drilled my dog holes prior to the glue up. This is much easier the drilling after everything has been glued up.

Oil finish

Next step was to glue up the bench top in two half’s, then I ran them through through my drum-sander to flatten them. The final step was to glue up the two halfs, and a finish sand to prepare them for finishing. No fancy finishes here, its just a workbench after all, all I did was a couple of coats of linseed oil and a light wax to help stop wax from sticking during glue ups.

Finish 2

Overall I am very happy with the way it turned out, and at a cost of about $80 I think i did ok. Vic Ash/Tas Oak whatever you want to call it is fairly prone to chipping so I’ll round off the edges as soon as my vises are installed. One thing I have noticed already is that with the thicker benchtop the whole workbench seems more solid.

Bedroom Suite added to projects page

Bedroom Suite has just been added to the project pages.



For more on this project checkout: Bedroom Suite Project

australianplanet.com
we are in
AustralianPlanet
australia's guides