$24 Moxon Style Vice

With 9 handcut dovetailed drawers on the cards, I thought I should invest in a moxon style vice to aid my dovetailing.

After googling around for some idea’s I remembered some cheap “Press Clamps” I had seen at McJings tools and thought they might work well in a vice:

www.mcjing.com.au Press Clamps @ $12 each

Press Clamps
I order a pair online with some other goodies, and they turned up in 2 days.

The Press Clamps look pretty good for $12!
Excellent

Continue Reading →

Console Table – Dry fit.

Managed to peice together the console table this weekend. The legs have not been tapered, and the top/bottom shelf are not assembled yet but you get the idea.

The press parts have arrived for the Moxon Vice so I’ll need to sort that out before attempting the drawers…

Console Table

The Legs have only been screwed in place, so I can remove them to tweak the taper and the height of the bottom shelf etc. This worked out well, because the location

Continue Reading →

Console Table

Time for a new project, I have been looking for something to replace a little table we have in our main living area. Spotted this via google images and I really like the style. I was only able to find this picture, the company selling the table no longer carried them and the link was dead.

Console Table

With not much to go by in regards to dimensions out comes sketchup to the rescue, I quickly roughed out the dimensions and proportions:

Continue Reading →

Router Table

I managed to obtain a nice benchtop offcut through work, so I decided to build a new router table.

The benchtop is from a server room so its a heavy duty 35mm thick benchtop and weighs a ton.

Front Back

My original router table was never fully completed. It was based a router table made on an episode of New Yankee Workshop.

The new table uses the router, handles, router insert and drawerslides from the original table.



New Yankee Workshop Router Table

Continue Reading →

LowLine TV Cabinet

I have a few projects on the go at the moment, one of them is a TV Cabinet for a friend.

The Cabinet is made out of Solid Durian. Durian is very similar to Victorian Ash, if anything slightly better, I find it sands better, doesnt have gum veins and is less prone to chipping.

The unit will be 150cm Wide, 60cm High and 45cm Deep, finished in a Walnut stain and semi-gloss Pre-Cat Lacquer.

Since there were no plans

Continue Reading →

Auriou Rasps Review

With a Birthday on the way and some cabriole legs on the cards for a future project, I lashed out and invested in some new Auriou Rasps.

If you not familiar with Auriou, there is a great clip on youtube showing the manufacturing process.
http://youtu.be/RwLA-O3bL5M

I ordered, 3 rasps all 12inch in length, a 3 grain, 8 grain and 12 grain. 3 grain being the roughest and the 12 grain the finest.

Sample Mirror
The rasps arrived in record time, and very

Continue Reading →

Piano Stools finished…

The Stools are finally finished. 🙂

Finishing consisted of a coat of linseed oil followed about about 6 sprayed coats of pre-cat lacquer (75% gloss). I added a little walnut stain to the initial coats and only applied those coats to the lighter pieces (legs).

I am happy the way they turned out, especially considering I had no plans to base them on.

Sample MirrorSample MirrorSample Mirror


Piano Stool with insert padded seat. Still might add some bracing to the lid to support the

Continue Reading →

Piano Stools continued…

Back to the pianos stools again this weekend 🙂

Sample Mirror

The Second stool has an inset padded seat. I cut dadoes for some 6mm MDF and dominoed the frame together using 6mm x 40mm Dominoes.

Not 100% sure that there is enough strength in that slot to support a person, I might end up putting some bracing under the lid for some added safety.



Sample Mirror Sample Mirror


Here are a couple of pictures of the stools, pretty much finished. The second stool is still

Continue Reading →

Chippendale Mirror Finished

Final Mirror

The beveled mirror was ready for pickup this week, so I finally got to finish this mirror.

Finishing it off was a simple job just sit the mirror in the rabbets, and screw in the backing .

I am very happy with the finished product, also surprised at the amount of work that goes into a relatively small piece.


Continue Reading →