With a Birthday on the way and some cabriole legs on the cards for a future project, I lashed out and invested in some new Auriou Rasps.
If you not familiar with Auriou, there is a great clip on youtube showing the manufacturing process.
I ordered, 3 rasps all 12inch in length, a 3 grain, 8 grain and 12 grain. 3 grain being the roughest and the 12 grain the finest.
Finally got around to finishing the upholstery, thought I’d throw up a quick pic….
The Stools are finally finished. 🙂
Finishing consisted of a coat of linseed oil followed about about 6 sprayed coats of pre-cat lacquer (75% gloss). I added a little walnut stain to the initial coats and only applied those coats to the lighter pieces (legs).
I am happy the way they turned out, especially considering I had no plans to base them on.
Piano Stool with insert padded seat. Still might add some bracing to the lid to support the
Back to the pianos stools again this weekend 🙂
The Second stool has an inset padded seat. I cut dadoes for some 6mm MDF and dominoed the frame together using 6mm x 40mm Dominoes.
Not 100% sure that there is enough strength in that slot to support a person, I might end up putting some bracing under the lid for some added safety.
Here are a couple of pictures of the stools, pretty much finished. The second stool is still
The beveled mirror was ready for pickup this week, so I finally got to finish this mirror.
Finishing it off was a simple job just sit the mirror in the rabbets, and screw in the backing .
I am very happy with the finished product, also surprised at the amount of work that goes into a relatively small piece.
Recently I have been taking advantage of the booming Aussie Dollar. One of my latest purchases has been a couple of Spokeshaves from Lee Valley.LINK: Lee Valley Spokeshaves
I’ve made a few attempts at using a spokeshave in the past but could never get the results I was after, usually resorting to raps/files and sandpaper. This time around I thought I’d invest in some better quality shaves and see if I can get the results I knew I should …
Now on to something more practical, some piano stools. I am making 2 stools each slightly different , one without an armrest and a fabric top, the other with arm rests and a solid top with a fabric insert.
Note: You can see a full thread on this build under the projects tab.
I am hoping to use the left …
Finally after paying my dues in the Garden, I got to spend some time in the workshop.
With the front all glued up and ready for finish, I got to work on the back putting in some blocks for additional support and making a mounting bracket from some old brackets I had lying around.
Not 100% sure about the grain direction on those support blocks, but they are only about 2mm thick so I don’t think it matters that much …
When I first started working with wood, the weekend was a mad rush to get things done, my goal was to just get the job done. Come Monday morning as long as I had some pictures to show my mates or post on a forum I was happy.
Inevitably when I sat back in the following weeks all I saw was the little mistakes I made on the way, an out of square piece here, a chip there. Output and …
Ah the weekend is here, finally some real shed time 🙂
I routed the dadoes and squared up the edges with a small mortice chisel, everything is ready to receive the scroll work.
I have to say that Tasmanian Myrtle is beautiful stuff to work with, its up there as one of my favorites.
Understandably the panels are over sized, so I planed all the panels down to fit.
Holding the work in between a couple of clamped cauls worked …