I managed to obtain a nice benchtop offcut through work, so I decided to build a new router table.
The benchtop is from a server room so its a heavy duty 35mm thick benchtop and weighs a ton.
My original router table was never fully completed. It was based a router table made on an episode of New Yankee Workshop.
The new table uses the router, handles, router insert and drawerslides from the original table.
I have a few projects on the go at the moment, one of them is a TV Cabinet for a friend.
The Cabinet is made out of Solid Durian. Durian is very similar to Victorian Ash, if anything slightly better, I find it sands better, doesnt have gum veins and is less prone to chipping.
The unit will be 150cm Wide, 60cm High and 45cm Deep, finished in a Walnut stain and semi-gloss Pre-Cat Lacquer.
Since there were no plans
With a Birthday on the way and some cabriole legs on the cards for a future project, I lashed out and invested in some new Auriou Rasps.
If you not familiar with Auriou, there is a great clip on youtube showing the manufacturing process.
I ordered, 3 rasps all 12inch in length, a 3 grain, 8 grain and 12 grain. 3 grain being the roughest and the 12 grain the finest.
The Stools are finally finished. 🙂
Finishing consisted of a coat of linseed oil followed about about 6 sprayed coats of pre-cat lacquer (75% gloss). I added a little walnut stain to the initial coats and only applied those coats to the lighter pieces (legs).
I am happy the way they turned out, especially considering I had no plans to base them on.
Piano Stool with insert padded seat. Still might add some bracing to the lid to support the
Back to the pianos stools again this weekend 🙂
The Second stool has an inset padded seat. I cut dadoes for some 6mm MDF and dominoed the frame together using 6mm x 40mm Dominoes.
Not 100% sure that there is enough strength in that slot to support a person, I might end up putting some bracing under the lid for some added safety.
Here are a couple of pictures of the stools, pretty much finished. The second stool is still
The beveled mirror was ready for pickup this week, so I finally got to finish this mirror.
Finishing it off was a simple job just sit the mirror in the rabbets, and screw in the backing .
I am very happy with the finished product, also surprised at the amount of work that goes into a relatively small piece.
Recently I have been taking advantage of the booming Aussie Dollar. One of my latest purchases has been a couple of Spokeshaves from Lee Valley.LINK: Lee Valley Spokeshaves
I’ve made a few attempts at using a spokeshave in the past but could never get the results I was after, usually resorting to raps/files and sandpaper. This time around I thought I’d invest in some better quality shaves and see if I can get the results I knew I should …
Now on to something more practical, some piano stools. I am making 2 stools each slightly different , one without an armrest and a fabric top, the other with arm rests and a solid top with a fabric insert.
Note: You can see a full thread on this build under the projects tab.
I am hoping to use the left …
Finally after paying my dues in the Garden, I got to spend some time in the workshop.
With the front all glued up and ready for finish, I got to work on the back putting in some blocks for additional support and making a mounting bracket from some old brackets I had lying around.
Not 100% sure about the grain direction on those support blocks, but they are only about 2mm thick so I don’t think it matters that much …