With a couple of weeks annual leave under my belt I set off to tackle and finish the console table. To aid me in cutting and fitting the drawers I made a new moxon style vice and a bench helper to support the drawers for final fitting.
The Bench Helper, provides support for larger pieces and is great when plaining drawers to final fit. It only took a couple of hours to make using some scrap. I have already used it a dozen times. Its one of those handy jigs you wish you made years ago.
The Moxon vice is used to lift the work to a more usuable height, perfect for cutting dovetails. I was lucky enough to score a cheap Benchcrafted vice in a group buy with some friends (http://benchcrafted.com/).
Ok so here is the finished table, minus the lacquer and stain. I am very happy with the way the table turned out, it was a lot more work than I was expecting, but I learnt a lot from this piece. Every drawer was assembled using handcut dovetails, which was a first for me.
Heres a close up showing the dovetails and the applied drawer front. The drawers and made out of hoop pine.
Matching corner table…
While working on the table I also decided to make a matching corner unit, to replace a recently broken vase 🙁
Luckly I had just enough leftover Durian to build this:
I didnt have any plans for this, I just match the main design elements of the console table and made sure I had enough Durian to complete the unit.